What is Augmented Reality ?
When we think of the technology in a modern era, one of the most exciting recent improvements in technology is the introduction of Augmented Reality. Technology is succeeding by leaps and bounds. Things not only conclude with the augmented reality because more and more technology updates are coming up in the augmented reality. It is all about augmenting the reality perceived by our senses, with the use of technology aid. It is the combination of a virtual and real environment. In this, the virtual part enlarges and enriches the sensory knowledge of the observer. Let first deeply understand what augmented reality is.
Augmented reality is a superior version of reality where live direct or indirect views of the physical real-world environment are augmented with superimposed computer produced images over a user’s view of the real world, thus improving one’s current perception of reality. It can be implicit as a method of virtual reality where the real world is lengthened or enhanced in some way through the use of virtual features. The purpose of Augmented Reality is to augment how an individual would interact with and understand the real world by presenting virtual information to his/her surrounds and approach to the real world environment. It is manageable and convenient.
- It was first attained by a Cinematographer Morton Heilig in 1957. Sensorama which is invented by him, delivered visuals, sounds, vibration and smell to the viewer. It wasn’t computer controlled.
- During 1968, American computer scientist Ivan Sutherland invented the head-mounted display as kind of window into a virtual world.
- In 1975, an American computer artist Myron Krueger, establish the first “virtual reality” interface in the form of “video place” which endorsed its users to deploy its and cooperate with virtual objects.
- Later in 1980, Steve Mann, a computational photographer researcher, designed and gave world wearable computing.
- Then virtual reality came into existence by Jaron Lanier in 1989.
- Back to this augmented reality bought by Thomson P Louis Rosenberg in 1990.
- First AR system was developed at USAF Armstrong’s Research Lab by Louis Rosenberg in 1992, this was called Virtual Fixtures.
- Bruce Thomas developed an outdoor mobile AR game called ARQuake in 2000. In 2009, AR Toolkit made available in Adobe Flash.
- In 2013, Google beta tested Google Glass with internet connection via Bluetooth.
- In 2015, Microsoft announced 2 technologies Windows Holographic and Holocene, this an AR goggles with lots of sensory to display HD holograms.